“Learning as you go along” - Kaspersky GM talks to SUTD students on life-long learning
“What is life-long learning all about? It is learning as you go along. It is not about attending a formal, sit-down lecture anymore,” said YEO Siang Tiong, General Manager for Southeast Asia at Kaspersky, as he set the agenda of his inspiring talk on charting one’s own IT career path, reflecting on his three decades of professional experience.
Speaking to students of the Singapore University of Technology and Design (SUTD) - Information Systems Technology and Design (ISTD) pillar during its first Industry Engagement Day held on February 24, Mr Yeo shared the importance of acquiring certain skills, brushing them up, and sharpening them for the outside world.
“Learning doesn’t stop after stepping out of the university. It continues,” Mr Yeo said. “Your degree can take you far, but your acquired skills, which you will hone along the way, will take you farther.”
Mr Yeo, a veteran sales and channel professional, has held various roles in Southeast Asia and across the Asia Pacific, spanning strategy, technical, and managerial.
“How do you handle your career? When I started 30 years ago, there wasn’t anything called cybersecurity. I moved to different roles. I moved to different sub-industries. Why? Because this is a learning journey,” Mr Yeo noted.
“Career path is a myth. There are no hard and fast rules about it. The real formula is to see what life brings you,” he added.
He concluded his talk with the abundance of career opportunities in the field of cybersecurity and what Kaspersky does to equip students with the necessary skills to jumpstart their future in the sector. Notably, he presented Kaspersky’s SafeBoard Global, an international internship programme offering multiple roles across several offices in different regions.
Through the SafeBoard Global, qualified candidates can apply for the following business functions: general and channel sales, presales, marketing and digital marketing, IT, tech support, corporate communications and sales operations.
Visit SafeBoard Global’s official landing page to find out more.
- Kaspersky and Indian Institute of Technology Bombay Sign MoU to Advance Cybersecurity Education and Research Learn more
- Online Reverse Engineering Bootcamp – a unique training from Kaspersky experts Learn more
- Kaspersky signs MOU with Singapore-based Centre For Cybersecurity Learn more
- “Learning as you go along” - Kaspersky GM talks to SUTD students on life-long learning Learn more
- Kaspersky contributes to a roundtable conference on cybersecurity upskilling in Northern India Learn more
- Kaspersky conducts tutorials, plus a KIPS session at IIT-Tirupati in India Learn more
- Kaspersky announces winners of 2022 Secur’IT Cup student competition Learn more